Daily Recap — August 14

Dang. It was busy today.

.


.

.

.

DOG BITES MAN

.

.

Another terror attack struck the heart of London today and the world barely blinked. A sad commentary, to be sure, but an accurate reflection of where we are.

Police armed with bobby sticks or whatever the hell those fruitcakes carry stormed the central London streets and cordoned off the city’s government district, after a speeding car plowed into cyclists and crashed outside friggin Parliament. Authorities are treating it as an act of terrorism, because there’s a 114% chance that’s what it is.

With the driver in custody, counterterror detectives were working to uncover the motive behind what they suspect is the fourth vehicle attack in Britain – and the second on Parliament – in 18 months. That’s a pretty frequent rate of car attacks for a rarely small nation. I’m starting to think that Islam isn’t compatible with the West. 


.
A rooftop camera recorded the silver Ford Fiesta driving past Parliament and suddenly veering sharply to the left, striking cyclists waiting at a set of lights, then crossing the road and crashing into a barrier outside Parliament. The few armed police in London surrounded the car within seconds, pulling a man from the vehicle. Police said the driver was alone and no weapons were found in the car.

Three people were hurt but none critically, thank God. 

Police arrested the 29-year-old driver, a “resident of England’s Midlands region” who was not previously known to counterterrorism police or intelligence services. Reports are that the suspect, whose name hasn’t been released by the time of this writing but is definitely a Muslim, isn’t cooperating with the cops.


.
The car was apparently driven from Birmingham in central England to London late last night and was in central London for more than seven hours before the crash. Detectives are searching two properties in Birmingham and one in another Midlands city, Nottingham.

Cops say they don’t believe there’s any ongoing threat beyond today’s incident, though really it’s impossible to say until a full electronic audit is done. See who he’s been talking to, what about, etc.  

After a meeting of the government’s crisis committee, COBRA, officials said Britain’s terrorism threat level would remain at “severe,” meaning an attack is highly likely. It has briefly been raised to the highest level, “critical,” after some previous attacks.

I’ll save you some time, Brits. You can leave the threat level at “critical” until you get your immigration laws sorted out, assuming it’s even possible at this point.

.


.

.

.

.

SKELETONS BROUGHT TO LIGHT

.

.

Looks like Pope Francis better spend less time spewing leftwing talking points and more time cleaning up his church from within. 

According to a stomach-turning report issued by a grand jury  today, bishops and other leaders of the Roman Catholic Church in Pennsylvania covered up child sexual abuse by more than 300 priests over a period of 70 years, persuading victims not to report the abuse and the cops not to investigate it, 

The report, which covered six of the state’s eight Catholic dioceses and found more than 1,000 identifiable victims, is the most comprehensive yet by a government agency in the United States of child sexual abuse in the Catholic Church. The report said there are likely thousands more victims whose records were lost or who were too afraid to come forward.

The Pennsylvania grand jury met for two years, reviewed 500,000 documents from dioceses’ secret archives, and heard testimony from dozens of victims and the bishop of Erie. The report covers the dioceses of Allentown, Erie, Greensburg, Harrisburg, Pittsburgh and Scranton. Two of the dioceses — Greensburg and Harrisburg — tried to quash the grand jury investigation last year, but later backed off that stance.

The report lists each of the accused priests and documents how they were sent from parish to parish, and even sometimes out of state. The grand jury said that while the list is long, “we don’t think we got them all.” The report added, “We feel certain that many victims never came forward, and that the dioceses did not create written records every single time they heard something about abuse.”

Sickening.

It catalogs horrific instances of abuse: a priest who raped a young girl in the hospital after she had her tonsils out; a victim tied up and whipped with leather straps by a priest; and another priest who was allowed to stay in ministry after impregnating a young girl and arranging for her to have an abortion.

How in the world does a man like that call himself a priest every day with a straight face?

The first real looks into the Catholic Church emerged out of Boston in 2002. But even after paying billions of dollars in settlements and adding new prevention programs, the church has been dogged by a scandal that is now reaching its highest ranks. The Pennsylvania report comes soon after the resignation of Cardinal Theodore E. McCarrick, the former archbishop of Washington, who is accused of sexually abusing young priests and seminarians, as well as minors.

“Despite some institutional reform, individual leaders of the church have largely escaped public accountability,” the grand jury wrote. “Priests were raping little boys and girls, and the men of God who were responsible for them not only did nothing; they hid it all. For decades.”

The grand jury said that while some accused priests were removed from ministry, the church officials who protected them remained in office or even got promotions. One bishop named in the report as vouching for an abusive priest was Cardinal Donald Wuerl, the current archbishop of Washington. “Until that changes, we think it is too early to close the book on the Catholic Church sex scandal,” the jury wrote.

I would think so. If he hasn’t resigned already, he’s too late.

.


.

WHAT HAPPENS NOW?

.
Nothing justice wise, I’m afraid.

The report is unlikely to lead to new criminal charges or civil lawsuits under the current law because the statute of limitations has expired. Only two of the cases in the report so far have led to criminal charges.

There will, however, be much apologizing and stern statements on the actions taken by the church, peppered with a defense of the church’s actions in the past. You know, the usual. 

In statements released today, Pennsylvania’s Catholic bishops called for prayers for victims and for the church, promised greater openness and said that measures instituted in recent years were already making the church safer.

But several bishops, including Bishop David A. Zubik of Pittsburgh, rejected the idea the church had even concealed abuse.

“There was no cover-up going on,” Bishop Zubik said in a news conference on Tuesday. “I think that it’s important to be able to state that. We have over the course of the last 30 years, for sure, been transparent about everything that has in fact been transpiring.”

Really? Seems like there would have been a little more coverage. I’ll have to do some digging to test his assertion.


.

HOW THEY OPERATED:

.

Church officials followed a “playbook for concealing the truth,” the grand jury said, minimizing the abuse by using words like “inappropriate contact” instead of “rape”; assigning priests untrained in sexual abuse cases to investigate their colleagues; and not informing the community of the real reasons behind removing an accused priest.

“Tell his parishioners that he is on ‘sick leave,’ or suffering from ‘nervous exhaustion.’ Or say nothing at all,” the report said.

Attorney General Josh Shapiro, whose office initiated the investigation, said in a news conference, “They protected their institution at all costs. As the grand jury found, the church showed a complete disdain for victims.”

And check out this hidden bombshell — he said that the cover-up by senior church officials “stretched in some cases all the way up to the Vatican.”

One example of a cover-up detailed in the report concerns one Rev. Ernest Paone, a priest who was caught molesting boys and “using guns” with young children in Pittsburgh. A fellow pastor intervened in 1962 to stop the police from arresting him. The district attorney at the time, Robert Masters, wrote to the diocese in 1964 to say that he had halted his investigation of the case “in order to prevent unfavorable publicity” for the diocese.

In testimony before the grand jury, Mr. Masters said that he had wanted the church’s support for his political career. A child’s innocence in exchange for political support. Vengeance may belong to the Lord, but I hope these people rot in Hell.

Father Paone was relocated successively to Los Angeles, San Diego and Reno in the following years, with Pittsburgh’s bishops attesting to his fitness as a priest. Among those bishops was Cardinal Wuerl, the aforementioned archbishop of Washington. He accepted Father Paone’s resignation from ministry in good standing in 2003, allowing him to collect his pension, of course.

Cardinal Wuerl released a letter to his priests yesterday, saying that while the grand jury report would be “critical of some of my actions, I believe the report also confirms that I acted with diligence, with concern for the survivors and to prevent future acts of abuse.”

That’s not what it says at all, but ok.

.


.

BIG PICTURE:

.

This is the worst of humanity, disguised as the best of us.

State officials are lobbying to have statutes of limitations extended in order to prosecute many of these cases. I hope they’re successful. God knows, if you can’t get popular support for prosecuting predator priests, you should get out of the business altogether.

Regardless of what happens, justice will certainly be meted out. If not here, most certainly beyond this realm. Those monsters taught that to children all those years all while victimizing them in the worst ways imaginable, changing their lives irrevocably and taking any chance they had at a normal, functional life, all for their perversion. 

Instances such as these make me believe in God more than anything. There must be some form of ultimate justice for people like this.

There simply must be. 

.


.

.

.

.

TRAVESTY OF JUSTICE

.

.

We have to keep reforming the judiciary, folks. There are still so many cockroaches operating at high levels.

After four hours of testimony in a Taos County, NM courtroom, District Court Judge Sarah Backus, a far left Democrat, decided that the suspects who were quoted in court documents as training children to shoot up schools for Allah were “not a threat to the community.”

She ordered the two men and three women to wear ankle monitors, have weekly contact with their attorneys and not consume alcohol or own firearms while on bail. She said although she was concerned by “troubling facts,” prosecutors failed to articulate any specific threats to the community.

Just to refresh your memories, the five suspects were arrested after 11 emaciated children were found on their training compound this month. One 3-year old boy, who’d been missing from Georgia, died during a “religious ritual intended to cast out demonic spirits” from his body, and his remains were kept on the compound. Because you know, in America, we just throw some dirt over dead toddlers and call it a day.

It’s truly mind-numbing.

The lone silver lining is that despite being issued bail, the ring leader, Abdul-Ghani Wahhaj, is likely to remain locked up pending a warrant for his arrest in Georgia on accusations he abducted his own son from the boy’s mother in December and fled to New Mexico. The four other defendants — Jany Leveille, Lucas Morton, Subhannah Wahhaj and Hujrah Wahhaj — are already being processed for release.


.
Backus granted each suspect an unsecured bond. Prosecutors argued the family had trained children in the use of firearms in the rural compound and should remain in custody. Just some good ole shootin’, that’s all. And of course, one attorney pulled the race card, claiming no one would have a problem if the suspects performing religious rituals were “white Christians instead of black Muslims.”
ACTUALLY, I’M FAIRLY CONFIDENT THAT IF A GROUP OF WHITE CHRISTIANS WERE DISCOVERED TO BE STARVING KIDS ON A COMPOUND WHILE TRAINING THEM TO ATTACK SOFT TARGETS, A WHOLE HELL OF A LOT OF PEOPLE WOULD HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IT.
.
“What I’ve heard here today is troubling, definitely. Troubling facts about numerous children in far from ideal circumstances and individuals who are living in a very unconventional way,” Backus responded.
.
Not “unconventional” enough to be kept away from the general public, apparently.

.
Predictably, many citizens of New Mexico aren’t happy with this moonbat’s decision and are making their feelings known, some in more hostile fashion that others.
Backus has reportedly received more than 200 threats, according to the New Mexico Courts. Callers have threatened physical violence against Backus, including some people who threatened to slit Backus’ throat and smash her head. People also lashed out on social media and also threatened court staff, the court said.
The Taos County Courthouse had to be evacuated as a result, which doesn’t elicit many tears from this writer. I neither condone nor promote death threats, but the sight of a courthouse living with the same tension they’ve thrust upon the citizens they serve does give me a sense of poetic justice.
So sue me. 
.

.

.
Please pray that these maniacs don’t conduct any pre-planned operations.
.
.


.

.
.
.
.
.
.

MANAFORT PREPARED TO SKATE?

.

.

The defense rested its case this morning in the public flogging of former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort without calling any witnesses, setting the stage for closing arguments tomorrow morning.

Just to jog the ole memory, Manafort faces 18 charges of tax and banking crimes and has pleaded not guilty to all of them. The case stands as the first major test for special counsel King Bob Mueller, who had counted on bullying Manafort into singing — or composing — against his former boss PDT as a means of taking down his presidency. It is indeed a witch hunt and one that should not be happening in America.


.

Why didn’t Manafort testify?

.
Manafort spoke for the first time in court today, informing the judge he will not testify. He told Judge T.S. Ellis, who is no fan of Mueller and has made life hell for the prosecution the entire trial, that he would not testify during a brief questioning at the podium before the jury was brought in the room. Despite what King Bob would have you believe, this is still America and Manafort does have Fifth Amendment rights.
.
I’m no lawyer, but I do know that in many cases it’s prudent for defendants not to testify on their own behalf. Any statements he made in court could be used against him in other trials — including his upcoming trial in Washington, DC, on foreign lobbying violations.
.
Yes, they’re throwing the kitchen sink at him.
 
The good news is that trial, which is expected to begin in mid-September, will be tried by some of the same prosecutors handling the current case in Northern Virginia. And by all accounts, those “superstar” prosecutors have been absolutely awful. Perhaps it’s from dealing with a hostile judge or maybe even attacks of conscience, but whatever it is, everyone agrees they’ve stunk up the place. 
.
That’s why many believe the defense team didn’t bother to present any evidence or call any witnesses, even people who could testify to Manafort’s character. The common perception is that the defense believes it has created enough doubt in the jurors’ minds through their questioning of prosecution witnesses over the last 10 days, and that they have a leg up in the way jurors will be instructed to decide the case, especially given Ellis’ inclinations.
.
Judge Ellis said he would instruct the jury to think about the “materiality” of the question of whether Federal Savings Bank founder Stephen Calk could contribute to Manafort allegedly defrauding the bank for $16 million in loans. Calk, because he was a significant shareholder at the bank, could in theory loan to anyone he wished — even someone who was lying on paper — if Calk had the personal want for Manafort’s boost in politics, the defense team argued.
.
“In the end, I think the defendant makes a significant argument about materiality,” Ellis said today. “But in the end I think materiality is an issue for the jury.”
.
In other words, this case is going to be decided on rather narrow terms, which heavily favors the defense. In fact, they’re the very terms set by the defense. No wonder they’re so confident.
 
.

.

.

BIG PICTURE:

.

I think Paulie might just beat this thing, folks, and what a blow to King Bob that would be.

Talk about a bad week. Not only will an integral part of his PutinGate probe have been fired, but the potential star witness he’s been trying to squeeze for the last year in the phony collusion probe will have beaten him in court, which will increase his chances of winning the next trial, too.

Bottom line: Those prosecutors need to convince 12 jurors that their transparently political case against Manafort warrants prosecution. The defense need only one stalwart to avoid prosecution.

I like his chances.

.

.

.

.


Donations

Hi everyone, if you enjoyed this article and feel that I’ve earned a tip, I would greatly appreciate any help you can give. If you would like to give more than $3, simply change the number in the box to multiply the donation. If not, I still love you and keep up the good fight!

$3.00

Categories Uncategorized

1 thought on “Daily Recap — August 14

  1. Kathryn Suzanne Sower August 16, 2018 — 4:19 am

    Yes, the fake pope better focus or pretend to focus on the Catholic Church. I was raised to believe the tenets of Roman Catholicism. What a horrific fraud & hoax perpetrated on the believers of Catholicism. Thank you Trey, very excellent reporting on the facts of abuse.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close